Saturday, August 8, 2009

Interesting Links 8-8-09

Peter Lumpkins writes about the misuse of the word "monergism" among Calvinistic Southern Baptists.

Ben Henshaw asks: Do you really want to claim John Calvin as your homeboy? Check out the reply thread on this one.

Speaking of which, you can get your Arminian homeboy apparel here.

Chris Skinner asks, does all mean all?

Between Two Worlds (Justin Taylor's Calvinist blog) has a link to a series by Colin Hansen that looks at the dynamics of the Reformed Resurgence. (HT: Brian Abasciano)

Were the tunes to Wesley brother's hymns based on tavern songs? That's not true says Larry Withham. It is a wide spread misconception.

Don Heatly writes about the "myth" of the young progressive Christian. "I have been astounded by the disconnect between what I read younger generations are looking for in a church, and what many actually gravitate toward."

Scot McKnight has re-posted a letter regarding how a pastor should deal with "pesky Calvinists". There are lots of interesting comments in the thread.

3 comments:

DonaldH said...

I love Peter's blog..SBC and Calvinism always generates a ton of response. Being SBC though, I love Peter's blog.

Good defense of the Wesley's. It's amazing how many of the hymns are in many of our hymn books, song in our churches, and yet they receive little or no air time on christian radio. This burns me up. I come from a baptist background, but I loved their (Wesleys')contribution to the christian faith.

YEP, interesting links.

The Seeking Disciple said...

I bought my Arminian shirt at the link you posted. I love wearing my Arminian shirt and watching to see if anyone notices it. Most don't or act like they don't care even at my church.

Kevin Jackson said...

Donald, I like Peter's blog too, although I'm not from a SBC background. He gives a good window into what's going on in the denomination. Yeah, the Wesley's did a lot of cool stuff. A lot of Fanny Crosby's hymns have found their way into various denominations hymnals as well.

Roy, that's awesome. I don't have any Arminian gear...yet. :)